Returning to Jones Bridge, going to the east along Escolta Street (Escort Street, so called because the Spanish governors used this route) is the district of Sta. Cruz. This busy thoroughfare leads to the north end of MacArthur Bridge, in Plaza Santa Cruz. The Santa Cruz Church was built by the Jesuits in 1608 for Chinese converts. Destroyed in 1945, it was later completely rebuilt (modern mosaic on high altar). There are numerous fruit and vegetable sellers in the neighbouring streets (particularly Bustos Street).