Parañaque is located approximately 8 km South of Manila, bounded by Pasay City in the north, on the southeast by Muntinlupa while Las Piñas is on the southwest, Taguig in the Northeast and the Manila Bay in the west. It has a total land area of 47.7 sq km. The then town of Palanyag was founded in 1572. Since the place is near the sea, the Paraqueños did much trade with the Chinese, Indonesians, Indians and Malayans. In 1580, an Augustinian missionary, Fr. Diego de Espinar established the mission house in the area, with its spiritual jurisdiction reaching up to Kawit, Cavite. Nuestra Señora del Buensuceso, the image of Palanyag’s patroness was brought to St. Andrew Church in La Huetra in 1625. During the 19th century Philippine revolution the city was one of the hottest battle zones due to the fact it was a practical gateway to Cavite, the bastion of the revolutionary Katipuneros. When the Americans took over, Parañaque became one of the first municipalities in Metro Manila. It was 15 February 1998 when the municipality was converted into a chartered and urbanized city. Consider to be the most attended church in Asia is the Shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help also known as Baclaran Church. Every Wednesday it is thronged with a large and colourful crowd of pilgrims. The first novena in Baclaran was celebrated on 23 June 1948. The church has a capacity of 2,000 person seated, and for another 9,000 standing. Another nice place to see is the Baclaran Dry Goods Market also known as the bargain center throughout the world due to the amazing discounts shoppers enjoy. The center for duty-free shopping in the Philippines is also located in the heart of the city. It is one of the finest duty-free shopping center while its item prices are usually lower than those in its counterparts.